Sunday 5 July 2009

saturday in the parks

I wish I was a better writer, I could entertain everyone with tidbits and tales of adventures in "the miracle city", but I'm not.

I spent yesterday drawing in the most amazing spot, the Begijnhof, a cluster of secluded homes centered around a garden set in the middle of the city. It was originally a haven for religious unmarried or widowed women that didn't want to join the convent (and have to give up their material wealth) but were drawn to cloistered life, who in turn cared for the elderly. It was founded in the 1400s and the last Beguine died in the 70s. Now it's run by a foundation that rents the 92 flats out to unmarried women. And it is beautiful. It makes me almost want to pretend to be a good Presbetyrian and see if I can get on the waiting list.

It's the absolute opposite of the Red Light District: peaceful, quiet, you actually can't hear the city noises which are just a wall away. But filled with the same thing: unmarried, unconventional women.

And then there has been a series of concerts in the park for the past few nights, Friday night was Dire Straights (sorry Ahti, I didn't know in time) and the Saturday was Lenny Kravitz. So we all grabbed some wine and a blanket and sat outside of the venue, and rocked along to a very tightly leather pants clad Lenny. Half of the city had the same idea, barbequing and enjoying the free music. I mean afterall you don't really need to see him, and it's not like you would see him in the actual standing area anyway.

And just picture when the show was over and there were tens of thousands of people walkig out of the park, half of them on bikes, everyone in various states of inebriation, and the bikes actually ould ride throught the crowd! I am continually impressed by the Dutch natural atunement with thier bicycle. Which is why I have yet to ride the one the residency has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment