Tuesday 13 October 2009

wait until the fat lady sings on a horse

I just got back from my first opera of the season. Oh yeah, I am that geek. I have a subscription to the Met.

None the less, I just got back from my first opera of the season. I love the opera. I've been staring at this ticket attached to my fridge via an American Express magnet giddy for the evening my subscription started. I will admit that I was a little disappointed that my first show was going to be Aida (I love, love, love Verdi, but really not a fan of Aida for some reason, and last year I started off with Lucia de Laramoor which blew my mind, it was amazing)...and sad to say this one actually let me down.

It's been a long time since I saw an opera where the singers actually just stood there and sang (I figured out at some point during a lull in the show that I've seen around 30 operas so far). Even the choir most of the time just stood there and sang. It was like watching a slide show with a sound track.

That is until they brought the horses out. Oh my Lord, I have never heard such amazing singing! I had no idea there was such equine talent in the city! Their range! Their pitch! They moved me from tears to jubilation all in a single breathe. Not to mention their poise and costuming!

OK, so the horses didn't sing, but they were still awesome. Not every day you get to see a bunch of horses on stage, some of which upstaged some of the actual performers cause you couldn't hear them if anyone else was singing anyway.

Although, I will give props where props are due, and the tenor that played Ramades was the best tenor I have ever heard in my life. He was absolutely astounding. I'll admit I do have a ticket to see Placido Domingo in a couple of months and we'll see how this portly young man stacks up against the fifty year opera veteran, but to date he wins. Just to hear him sing his couple of solos was worth the hours of almost boredom and the soniferous accompaniment of the old woman sitting next to me (which started within seconds of the prelude of act 1...she did wake up for the horses though).

No comments:

Post a Comment