Monday 17 May 2010

The end of the season

I apologize, things have been busy, and I've missed filling you in on two separate operas (not to mention a million other things that have passed by in the chaos).

After all this opera talk, constantly reminding everyone of my excitement at finally getting to see Rene Flemming in Armida, I completely spaced actually telling you what it was like.  I had mentally composed witty sentences describing how absolutely wonderful she was...which I have naturally forgotten in the ensuing month.  Needless to say, she was divine.  Beyond divine...exquisite.  And the guys were ok, too.  Well, except for the one guy, who I swear to God has been in half of the operas I saw this season and he sounds like he's not only singing completely through his nose, but his voice has a quality to it akin to someone who is being attacked by a weasel.  I'm not a big fan.  But even he couldn't dampen the whole production, because in the beginning there was Rene, and in the end there was Rene, only an angry Rene, and I know that even though the opera ended, Armida would not have let the weasel tenor survive.

And then there was my final opera of the season...Der Fliegende Hollander.  I first saw The Flying Dutchman in Baltimore, in a production that absolutely blew my mind and I completely believe solidified my love of opera right then and there...and yet...I apparently completely mis-remembered the opera.  I'm not saying that I forgot the story (ghost ship, cursed captain, girl falls in love with a picture of the captain, greedy father, spurred love, no one gets what they want in the end, you know the story), I just seem to have combined Der Fliegende Hollander with another 2 or 3 Wagner operas that actually have songs that conjure memories of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny in Brunhilda costumes (even though I know Brunhilda is not in Der Fliegender Hollander).  I swear I had never heard any of this music before, except for the scary ghost ship approaching/storm music that just sounds like blood thirsty pirates must be just beyond the next wave.   So in a way it was disappointing, not because it actually was a disappointment, it was just not what 10 years of fake memories had been expecting.  And I guess in the end what it really means is that I have to be better about seeing the other Wagner operas so I can actually sort out what it is that's all jumbled in my college opera memories bin...

But the season is over.  I have to figure out what to do for next year...another season subscription? There's a lot of repeats next season, Mr. Gleb and Mr. Levine, but there is another chance to see the magnificent Rene.  So that's it. 8 operas: some bad, some good, one fire incident, Placido Domingo and Rene Flemming, horses and dogs and dancing children on stage, and now I have to wait 8 months until I get to sit up in those red velvet seats, surrounded by snoring elderly people, and watch completely unbelievable story lines sung by people with completely unbelievable voices...until next October...

No comments:

Post a Comment